Sunday, June 26, 2016

Steady as she goes...

To keep on a steady course. An instruction from the captain to the helmsman of a ship, to keep the ship heading steadily on the same course regardless of gusts of wind or cross-currents.

Ecko is a team player.
 Often those of us that enjoy dog sports groove on the brilliant dogs.  Eager, driven individuals that throw themselves into activities with a passion.  These dogs are exciting, flashy and fun to watch as they go about their tasks.  I have been blessed with several dogs like this and would be more than happy to work with more in the future.

Today, though, I celebrate and recognize that sometimes unsung hero, the steady dog.  What they lack in flinging them into activities with wild abandon, they make up for with their "can do" work ethic.

Guarding the Gear
My steady dog of the moment is Ecko.  Her eagerness is not so much for the tasks at hand, but to be at my side.  She rarely has a "bad day" training, and (assuming I communicate clearly) progresses quickly and linearly in learning new behaviors.  She is happy to lay quietly in her crate and watch the other dogs work, but is equally happy to join me for her turn to earn some treats and spend quality time with me.

We went water training today.  Ecko's brilliant daughter was a bit lacking in focus, but Ecko was her workmanlike self.  She persevered to complete a task that caused her some momentary confusion and made solid progress on a difficult exercise still in the learning phase.  To take a line from the Eagles, I get a "peaceful, easy feeling" in working with my steady dog and "I know she won't let me down".  I hope she knows how much I appreciate her.
 

No comments: