Thursday, September 24, 2020

Small Changes

View from the puppy cam.
  • Jan has our regular dog cam set up so it shows me a view of the whelping box when I log in from my cell phone.  It makes me feel like I'm part of the action when I'm at work during the day and he is home with the dogs.  In the photo, you can see Kodi napping on the left side of the box, the pups spread out around the rest of the box and the stuffed Holstein cow in the right front.  Kodi often likes to rest her head on the stuffed toys and the pups like to snuggle up with them.
  • Within the last day, Otis and Chunk were the first pups to reach the 2 pound mark (about as much as


    a quart of water or a pineapple).
  • We have not seen any eyes opening yet, but should be any day now.
  • The pups now pull themselves up on their front legs when moving around the whelping box.  They are not walking yet, but are working on it...
  • We will be doing another round of toenail trims tonight.
  • Newborn pups nurse 12 times or more a day during their first week of life.  At around 10 days, as their stomach capacity increases, they begin to nurse a bit less frequently.  At 2 weeks of age, they nurse around 6 times per day.
   



Kodi likes to sit in the chair and oversee the pups.

Minnie settled in for a nap after a big meal

A friend who has an older puppy (4 or 5 months old) was mentioning that he is getting fussy about eating and asked what to do about it.  I gave him some advice and followed it up with a link to a fabulous website by Sue Ailsby.  Sue is a fabulous dog person and amazing writer.  The info I shared with my friend was on the "writing" menu of the website.  There are some excellent articles and other engaging reading on Sue's website.

No comments: