Thursday, December 13, 2007

We have Puppies! - the 1st three

Stoker did lots of digging while was at work last night, but settled down for a nap on the couch while Jan and I watched TV until 11:00 PM. We both went to bed after that, Jan in the bedroom and myself and Stoker in the room where the whelping box is. Luckily Jan seemed to get some good sleep because Stoker and I got NONE! Stokie paced and dug nests and went in and out the dog door ('til I blocked it off for fear she would have a puppy in the outdoor run) and got up and down off the futon and.... Well, you get the picture.

She got increasingly agitated until I finally woke Jan up at around 5:00 AM and told him I thought that surely the first puppy was not too far off. As all my close friends will tell you, Jan is a WAY better/calmer puppy midwife than I am. I clear out and write down pertinent information and provide supplies and he assists the Momma dog. Jan sent me off to catch a little sleep until the first arrival and woke me just in time for our first puppy at 6:37 this AM!

Allowing for errors in sex and coat type due to lots of frantic activity and a slightly stressy mom (settling down nicely after puppy #3):

The first pup was a female, 11.75 ounces and with parti-color (lots of white) markings. It looks like there is dark skin under the hair, so I bet she will tick in like her mom. She looks to be curly. Her litter name is "Angel".

Second pup is a male, 12.5 ounces, born at 7:24 and mostly black. He looks curly too. His litter name is "Mako".

Third puppy is also a male, 9.5 ounces and lightly Irish marked (collar, stomach, muzzle/blaze). He looks wavy. His litter name is "Hammerhead". Hmm, perhaps because his marking reminded us of Decker....

As you can see, the litter names will all be different shark varieties. Stay tuned for more updates. Chili has been helping and very nosy (and Stoker doesn't seem to mind), while Decker is staying clear of the chaos out in the living room.

No comments: